31.5.09

Are you enjoying the ride?

My family financial situation is in really bad shape right now. And it's getting worse by the minute as we are draining out our savings to survive. These are the times when I start to stress out about just everything. I've been reading people's blogs lately because I really don't know what to write and too stress out to write anything basically. But reading people's blogs are fun. It takes my mind off things for a while. Some blogs are even refreshing and encouraging. I'm not saying reading blogs can just magically remove all my problems, but it just gives me new insights.

My last post was about 'enjoying the ride'. Well, not so easy to do when we are in a really bad shape, isn't it? How the heck we can enjoy the ride when everything seems to stumble down right in front of your eyes? Well, we can ... if we allow ourselves to find the good things in life. For me, I'm just trying to be thankful with what I have today. Remember the sayings 'you never know what you've got until it's gone'? Well, if possible, I don't want to experience that. I want to know what I've got before it's gone. So from now on, I'm going to try to be thankful. And I say 'try', because sometimes being thankful is not so easy either. Sometimes, we need to look a little harder for things to be thankful about. I read in someone's blog (can't remember whose because I read so much lately), but in this blog, she (I think it's a she) lists things she's grateful about each day. I thought it was a wonderful idea. So today, I am going to be thankful for:
- being able to drive my daughter to school myself (because I didn't know how to drive before)
- having a very good friend (who didn't run away because we're broke)
- still having a home to go too (because although we're selling the house, no one's interested yet)
- having a husband who I trust completely (because I know he is working really really hard to get us out of this whole situation)
- having an internet connection so I can still blog and meet fellow bloggers (who helped me although they probably didn't realize it)

Returning on 'enjoying the ride' topic ... well, I'm going to enjoy all these things that I have today. I don't know if I'm going to still have a car or a house tomorrow, but while I do, I'm going to just enjoy them as much as I can. And I hope that tomorrow is a better day and I will have even more things to be thankful about.

10 comments:

  1. Optimism is a wonderful thing. Don't let yourself fall into dispair - it doesn't help the situation. Sorry to hear you are having financial troubles, but glad to hear you are still able to see the good things that surround you.

    Keep that chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things get better for you Jan, we have been there. I do understand.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I have to agree with you it is hard, I lost my job about a month ago and now my husband is having his hours we have no savings just living from paycheck to paycheck I have even filled for food stamps to try to save money to save our home of 15years. And site you talk about is A Lighted Flame and yes it does help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know of any family (of all the ones I know) that isn't cutting back on expenses these days. My husband has a good job and we are still able to pay the bills but if the prices of everything like groceries, gas,electricty, and such keep going up I'm not sure what we will do. I am beginning to look around for a job that would bring in a little spare cash but the job market is not that good here.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is I understand what you are saying. You have the right attitude, let's just enjoy the ride and hope it all gets better.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very much for enjoying the ride. I've had some awful things happen in the past few years, losing my wife was probably the worst thing and where it started. Once you pick yourself up and dust yourself off there really is so much to look forward to.
    I am alive, I made it through all the bad times, and I'm still managing a smile. It's bloody tough some days, but as my Nana used to say 'every day above ground is a good one'.
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for your encouragement. It meant a lot and I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jan,

    You have listed some amazing things that you are grateful for, I am glad that you have those.

    I am sorry that you are in this situation and not seeing an end in sight. I know it is hard to not get caught up but you seem to do it so well...you are an inspiration in that way. Moment by moment, it's all we have and I know from experience that things can change from outta nowhere, not just to bad but to good also. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. :( just hang in there, sis? everything will be okay soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jan, thank you for you visiting me when I was sick. I am my old sassy self again.

    Love Sasha the shih tzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. ((((((Jan)))))))
    that was a big hug for you. I have you tucked in my thoughts, and am believing for a brighter today, and tomorrow. I admire your gratefulness for all you have.

    ReplyDelete